Stress can be a snowball if not dealt with. It leads to apathy and fear which will cause you to fall further behind. You need a go-to method for pushing back. Here are ten ways to lower your stress RIGHT NOW.
- Practice a daily quiet time with meditation, Bible reading, and prayer. Before the day even begins, I listen to some nature sounds, read and meditate on some scripture, and have an honest discussion with God.
- Exercise. Let’s be real. Most people, including me, don’t really enjoy exercising itself. It’s the feeling of HAVING EXERCISED that makes the difference. Scientifically, it’s proven to lower stress.
- Eat at least one meal a day with friends or family. You can honestly disappoint the world, but a few moments with a buddy or a spouse and kids who adore you can make all the difference. It really puts things in perspective.
- Drink some coffee slowly. The smell; the flavor; It makes everything seem right again. My whole body and mind becomes relaxed. If you’re not into coffee (which I totally don’t understand), try something like hot tea.
- Watch the sun rise and set. I’ve always thought of the sky as a canvas that God the Creator lets us enjoy each and every day. It’s a gift and can always make you feel that things will somehow work out.
- Stare at the stars. Nothing can make your problems seem as small as gazing out into the universe. Don’t you remember doing this when you were younger?
- Read a book just for fun. As leaders, we often try to read to help us improve personally and professionally. Try reading something just for fun. Study a new hobby. Read something totally pointless. Subscribe to a hunting magazine.
- Drive about 10mph slower than you normally do. This may sound silly, but I learned that the slower I drive, the more sights I take it. I can breathe a little deeper. I’m not in a hurry. Life moves at a slower pace when you do.
- Turn off all the noise (tv, radio, phone, etc). Don’t be afraid of silence. That’s when your greatest thoughts become clear.
- Write a list of all you’re thankful for. Nothing can be more relaxing than counting your blessings.
QUESTION: What would you add to the list? What relaxes you the most?
The Difference-Maker Digest
Get a weekly digest of all of my latest blog posts, podcast episodes, and helpful tips to becoming a better leader of yourself, your family, and your company.